I love pancakes! Over the years I’ve tried dozens of different ‘healthy’ pancake recipes, although none of which, in my opinion, have ever tasted like the real deal. So finally, I have created a recipe that does! They are still ‘healthy’ – they contain absolutely zero processed sugar and are really high in fibre – yet they taste exactly like ones you’d find in a café.
When it comes to pancakes, the toppings are always just as, (if not more) important as the pancake itself. And, as many of you would know, I take my toppings very, very seriously. However, going overboard with the toppings can cause your pancakes can go from a wholesome breakfast to an indulgent dessert in no time! So here is my go-to recipe for Sunday morning pancakes with a few of my epic topping combinations.
Here's the recipe...
For the pancakes
· Coconut oil
· 2 overripe bananas (mashed)
· 4 eggs
· ¼ cup milk of choice
· 1 tsp. vanilla extract
· ½ tsp. cinnamon
· ¼ cup buckwheat flour
· ¼ cup wholemeal flour
· ½ tsp baking powder
1. Combine the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla extract and milk of your choice in a bowl
2. In a separate bowl, stir the baking powder into the wholemeal and buckwheat flours
3. Pour the dry ingredients the bowl with the wet ingredients and combine
4. Put a teaspoon of coconut oil into a hot pan and then spoon the mixture into the pan, making two pancakes at a time
5. Continue cooking pancakes, adding more coconut oil to the pan as necessary
My rule with toppings is as follows: avoid added sugar, rather getting all sweetness and flavour from fresh fruit. Examples of this include mixed berries; grated apple cooked with cinnamon or mixed fresh fruit with Greek yoghurt.
If your tastebuds are calling for something a little bit sweeter, you could try my salted caramel sauce.
Simply combine 1 tbsp. tahini, 1 tbsp. maple syrup and a splash of water to achieve your desired consistency. Although this mixture does contain sugar in the form of maple syrup, the good fats in the tahini will slow down the absorption of sugar into your blood and therefore help to balance out your blood-sugar levels!